Dear Daddy,
I woke up today with the sun shining through my room. I slowly openend my eyes.
"What day is it" I thought.
"It's the 15th", I remembered.
"Happy Birthday, daddy", I whispered with a smile on my face.
It's been 3 years since you passed away. I remember sitting at the back of the van as a child while you serenanded us with Engelbert Humperdink songs as you drove along. Our long journeys to almost anywhere was filled with songs and laughter. I remember singing along as a child and although I didn't know most of the words, I bluffed my way through the verses while remembering the tune and chorus of each song.
I never got bored of the songs. It was not the fact that the song had a catchy tune or because it was an Englebert Humperdink song..it was more of the fact that you, daddy, sang the song.
It always meant something deeper than it was and it means even more now.
You would've been 60 today and you would've looked better than you did at 59... :)
I hope you know that mummy and your three girls still love you to this day. It makes me mad that THEY still try and piss us off even after you're gone and they still give us reasons to hate them more although we want nothing more than to just live our lives and not remember that they were once family.
Why are they so mean, daddy? How could you have come from that family? I am sure that once upon a time, all of your siblings were the same and I would like to believe that they are STILL the same people I remember them to be as a child. But too much has happened daddy even when you went away.
But today is not about them. It's about you. So, cheers to you daddy for leaving wonderful memories behind, for having loved me, cared for me and most of all for singing to me coz I know I'll remember every Blue Spanish Eyes, every Three Little Words and every Dancing to the Radio when I need you in my life...
Love,
Claudine.
No comments:
Post a Comment