Today is Possum's birthday so I thought I'd send her a shoutout...She and I have been friends from UCSI and I'm glad I've someone like her as a friend...we may have had our share of ups and downs but there's no faking when it comes to our friendship..
It just got me thinking....I've never had a best friend from my growing years because I moved around alot and kept changing friend circles as and when I moved...plus there was this one incident..
M and I were best friends in kindergarden..she was a really nice girl and I remember her well coz we used to hang out together everyday at the kindergarden..Plus we went to the same church so we saw each other on Sundays as well..we moved on to primary school and we were still friends..but then in Standard 2, I shifted to a different school coz dad worked in Rantau...I remember once when I was at Sunday school, I was sitting at the back of the class because I didn't know many of the kids in class since I shifted...but I saw M and I was happy to see a familiar face...some of the other girls recognized me (coz dad was always active in church choir and I was always front and centre with mum and my sisters) and they kinda knew that M and I were friends...but when they asked M if she and I were friends, she said loud and clear "NO..She was never my friend."
True story. Believe me, that's not something I concocted in my head...I don't remember every sordid detail of that day but I remember what she said. So from that day, best friends did not mean much to me and it did not seem all that important until I grew up and heard stories of friends who have been best friends since kindergarden...I felt like I missed out on something special..
It's kind of a special feeling to know someone from a very young age and grow up with them and have all these little funny stories to tell about each other...I wish I had that but I guess it was never meant for me..
But in any case, I'm still glad I made real good friends in UCSI whom I still keep in touch with and although we don't see each other as often as we hoped but it is still nice to know that we have that closeness...I'm glad that even through the roughest patches we faced back in UCSI, we still rose above it all and are still friends...I thank God everyday for blessin me with Poss, Miniroo and Mafia AND of course DJVJ and Paulo...I don't know what category of friends they fall into...and frankly I don't care coz all I know is that they're FAMILY...
Well, whadya know..I lost one best friend but I gained 5 whacky family members...And now we call ourselves the HotteFam and although it seems ridiculous to some but I think it's the best thing that's ever happened to me... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment