So I thought I may as well blog my weird episodes just to be aware of the frequency of the disturbances but hopefully these are just anomalies that occur once in a blue moon.
Before I delve into these things I should note that I haven't had these episodes in a long time. I used to have them when I was much younger and it would only occur in the afternoon. Hence why I do not, or at least try not to sleep in the afternoons.
When I was younger, whenever I slept in the afternoon, I used to feel like someone was choking/suffocating me and I had problems waking up although I was very much aware of my surroundings. There were instances where my mum would try to wake me up and I was fully aware of her waking me up but my whole body was paralyzed. I could see my mother and my surroundings although my eyes were closed. I would try to get my being attached to my body and as I was trying to do that I felt like I couldn't breathe. I would feel like I am waking up but then I'd realize that I am still asleep. I would wake up at the last possible moment just as I feel like I am about to drift off from loss of breath. As I jolted up my heart would race and I would wake up in a panic state.
It happened many times as a child and for a while I had to literally talk to my brain to convince myself that I am still asleep and I needed to wake up. Hence, after some time I decided to train myself to not sleep in the afternoon. I would tire myself out during the day and sleep easy at night. My night sleeping habits were not a problem at all.
So those episodes stopped occurring when i grew up. Occasionally I would take a nap in the afternoon when I am absolutely tired out and nothing would happen. However, today was the first time after a long time where I experienced the same situation. I was in bed and I could see my mother sleeping beside although I was asleep myself. I was getting the same feeling I had from before and I started panicking. I could see my 'being' detached from my physical body and as I tried to get my being back to my body I keep feeling suffocated.
I tried moving my limbs but was completely paralyzed and I remember screaming to my mum to help me and I felt like I was shouting really loud but I then realized it was no point. I kept talking to myself saying "Wake up Wake Up!!" and at the last possible minute where I felt like I was literally going to die! I woke up frantically breathing.
The weird thing is that whenever I take a nap on the couch during the afternoons, I don't experience these things. Today I decided to sleep on the bed and somehow it happens. Part of me wants to experiment and see whether it happens again - sleeping on the couch and then sleeping on the bed. However, the other part says don't be stupid coz I got lucky this time.
I hope this is just a one time episode. If it isn't then I guess I'm just gonna stick to the couch when I feel like taking a nap in the afternoon to be on the safe side...

No comments:
Post a Comment