I just received an email with regards to public holidays for the whole year by my institution and it's interesting how every festival has an extra day of holiday for the staff EXCEPT Christmas. Apparently Christmas is a religious festival and the others are "culturally driven"...I didn't know Deepavali, Chinese New Year or Hari Raya had no religious meaning to it. Appears to me that my management has decided that Christmas is the only religious holiday...
Now, some may say that I am saying all this just because I am a Christian and a certain sense of biasness to the post. I won't disagree because I feel this is deliberately short-changing the Christian staff at the institution. I am pretty sure that anyone else of any race or religion who were to be short-changed in the same manner would feel the same way.
Some may just let it slide saying that it's just a holiday...I would too but somehow I feel it starts with the smallest of all things which eventually builds up to something bigger. Probably the holiday is no big deal but saying that office day is for " key national festive holidays which are culturally driven" is just downright rude.
Just my two cents worth.
This post is not intended at insulting, defaming, slandering or causing damage to anyone or anything. It is merely an observation and a statement of opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment